HOW TO WASH YOUR CAR
It’s important to keep your car clean to help extend the life of your vehicle’s exterior finish. Going to car washes weekly can quickly add up as an expense you might not have the luxury of affording, but it is easy to clean your car at home with the right tools!
WHAT YOU NEED TO CLEAN YOUR CAR AT HOME
Make sure that all the products that you are using are safe for car cleaning. Other products, like household cleaning products, will damage your cars finish and paint. I recommend that you buy the following items and store them in a location so that they are easy to get to and you are using all the proper products.
- Water Hose
- Two Buckets
- Car wash detergent
- Wash mitts
- Shammy Car Towel
- Step Stool (for taller vehicles, like trucks and SUV’s)
Comfortable clothes are highly recommended so can move and bend down without any restrictions, so you can get to all the parts of the vehicle.
EASY STEPS TO CLEAN YOUR CAR
Now that you have all of the items you need, you are ready to clean your car! Make sure you park your car out of direct sunlight if possible and park it in a spot with plenty of open space so that you can move freely around your vehicle. Follow these steps to clean your car like a pro!
- Fill your buckets with water, and put the car wash detergent in one of the buckets, following the directions on the bottle for the detergent-to-water ratio.
- Hose off your car to loosen any debris and soften dirt.
- Wash the wheels first, since they are likely the dirtiest part of the vehicle, using your brush.
- Use the wash mitts to wash the body of your car. Soak them in the detergent water first and scrub the surface of your vehicle from top to bottom, rinsing the mitts as you go.
- Don’t wash your car all at once, wash and rinse your vehicle in sections, to avoid allowing the soap to dry on your car.
- Start with the roof of the car and work down the car
- Then move to the hood, wash and rinse
- Then go clockwise all around the vehicle washing and rinsing in sections.
- Spray the bottom of your car, and don’t forget to clean the tire sidewalls.
- Dry your car thoroughly with clean shammy car towels. The shammy is the better than a normal towel because it does not leave streaks when drying a vehicle.
- Open the doors and use a wet towel to clean around the doors and the bottom of the door, then use the shammy car towel to dry the doors.
- Optional but recommended: Wax your car once it has been completely dried to seal in the cleanliness and help it last longer.
So now you will have a clean car and who doesn’t love driving around in a clean car. Keeping your car clean inside and out will help your vehicle to last longer. I love washing my car during the summer and taking out for a joy ride.