Dimming Headlights or Flickering Car Lights Could Indicate An Electrical Problem With Your Vehicle Electrical components like the alternator or voltage regulator could be at the root of flickering car lights. CAUSES OF CAR LIGHTS FLICKERING In normal operations of a vehicle, the lights in your vehicle should produce a constant illumination, but sometimes drivers notice them flickering from time to time. There are a number of causes of car lights flickering, this is an issue you’ll definitely want to have checked out as soon as possible. This could be an indication of a problem in the electrical system of the vehicle. Today’s vehicle is loaded with electrical components and computers that can make identifying an electrical problem very difficult. WHY ARE MY CAR LIGHTS FLICKERING?
- Alternator: As the name suggests, the alternator produces alternating current, working with the battery to power the vehicle’s electrical systems. That’s why problems with the alternator could be signaled by dimming or flickering car lights or headlights. You can test your alternator by putting a voltmeter on it, it should produce 13.8 – 14.8 volts while the engine is running.
- Ground Wires: When these become loose or disconnected power won’t be supplied like it should, which could manifest through flickering lights.
- Aftermarket Equipment: Some suggest that aftermarket equipment that tends to be power hungry can cause a flickering in the lights. One of the major issues that we’ve identified in the past that caused electrical problems in cars were shotty installations of Remote Car Starters.
- Battery: Any time you notice such an electrical issue, it never hurts to check out the battery before doing anything else. You can have it tested by an automotive technician to make sure it is functioning as it should be.
- Voltage Regulator: This is another component that deals with your vehicle’s electrical system, regulating the voltage put out by the alternator. If it isn’t working properly, you could notice dimming or flickering lights as a sign of electrical problems.